funny how a bunch of white people can violently harass people going into an abortion clinic and the cops never show up even when they’re physically touching the patients against their will but if black people organize a totally non-violent and non-confrontational protest after a member of their community has been murdered they bring out the police dogs and shotguns and claim it’s going to be a riot lol
For anyone who doesn’t know who Michael Brown is or what’s been going on in Ferguson
- Saturday Aug. 9, 2014: Reports out of Ferguson, MO. that a 17 y/o boy was shot 10 times by police over stolen candy
- He is identified as 18 y/o Michael Brown. The store Mike Brown allegedly stole candy from did not report any theft. Reports then claim that Brown was unarmed and shot 10 times for jaywalking.
- According to eyewitnesses, Mike Brown was walking in the street with friend Dorian Johnson when an officer rolled up next to them in his car. The officer demanded the boys “get the fuck on the sidewalk”. When Brown and Johnson told him that they were almost at their destination (Johnson’s house) the officer responded with “what’d you say?”. The officer then grabbed Brown and (obviously) Brown began to pull away. The officer then threatened, multiple times, to shoot the boys. Story con’t here. (More eyewitness links below.)
- Mike Brown’s body was left lying in the street uncovered for 4 hours. His body was then placed into an unidentified black SUV.
- His mother said she was not allowed to ID her son’s body.
- Community members take to the streets (x). Flowers are spread where Mike Brown’s body laid (x).
- Protests begin. “No justice, no peace" chants are turned into "Kill the police" by media. Police respond to the unarmed crowd with dogs, shotguns, and this shit
- On the morning of Sunday Aug. 10, 2014, a crowd of people continued protesting, gathering at the Ferguson police station
- After a press conference, reports claim that there was a “struggle over the officer’s weapon" and that Mike Brown assaulted the officer who shot him. However, witnesses say that’s not what happened.. and they all have the same story (x) (x) (x)
- On the night of Aug. 10: Police blocked off streets (x), brought out the dogs (again), rifles, tear gas, gas masks, riot gear (x), tanks, and yelled “bring it on you fucking animals" at the crowd of protestors. They also did not hesitate to pull a woman who is 6 months pregnant out of a car, have her lay face down, and point their weapons at her
- Reports of looting and vandalism grab the media’s attention
- More pictures/footage from that night: (x) (x) (x)
- Protests continued into the morning of Monday Aug. 11: (x) demands of the protestors
- The night of Aug. 11: (x) Tear gas (x) (x), (x) (x) (x) (x) Gas masks, (x)
- Later that night: More tear gas (x) (x) (x) (x) lots of tear gas, seriously look at all this tear gas, riot gear, rifles, m16s, wooden pellets (x) (x), people shouting “hands up, don’t shoot!” and still shot with rubber bullets, (x) (x)
- Police tell people to return to their homes, returning home still isn’t good enough apparently. Police continue to shoot rubber bullets and tear gas at people who have returned home (x)
- Police shoot tear gas at media and threaten to arrest them if they don’t leave (x)
- Police think their lives are in jeopardy
- Oh yeah, the officer who killed Mike Brown is on paid administrative leave
- OH YEAH, the police declined to talk to Dorian Johnson, witness of his friend Mike Brown’s murder. But you can read Johnson’s description of what happened here (x)
- But the Ferguson Police Department said they would release the name of the officer who killed Mike Brown………. Just kidding! (x) His safety is important (x) (x) But….
- Tuesday Aug. 12: Police ban the media from the area. Ferguson declared a no fly zone (x) (x)
- Protesting continues
- Protesting rules (x)
- "Hands up, Don’t shoot!" (x) (x)
- “Who do you serve? Who do you protect?”
- Neighborhood cleanup organized (x) (x) (x)
- Ferguson police officer drives around QuikTrip and harasses those who are working to clean up the mess
- Mugshots of looters to be released. Officer who killed Mike Brown is still nameless.
- On the night of Aug. 12: Reports of a drive by shooting injuring at least one woman. Reports of another shooting by police, charges filed against victim. Woman injured in “drive by" for posting the truth
- Protesting continues into the night, police tell protestors to get out of the streets and they respond by getting on their knees and shouting “hands up, don’t shoot!” (x)
- MORE tear gas seriously look at this shit. A witness describes the use of tear gas on the community. So much tear gas
- Mike Brown was killed on Aug. 9, as of Aug 12. none of this is being televised. Most news outlets are reporting lies (x). Several stations covered the one night of riots and looting but that’s about it. However, most news outlets are still banned from the area. The area has also become more violent since media has been banned.
- “POLICE ARE USING FORCE TO SUPPRESS OUTRAGE AT POLICE USING EXCESSIVE FORCE" (x)
- Hurt feelings *rolls eyes*
- Wednesday Aug. 13: Reports that there is NO dash cam video of the shooting of Mike Brown….. BUT
- Police are still arguing that Mike Brown injured the officer who shot him
- FERGUSON POLICE DEPARTMENT SAYS “JUSTICE IS NOT HERE RIGHT NOW”
- Police still haven’t released the name of the officer who shot Mike Brown. They also will not release full autopsy of Mike Brown (yet).
- Officer who murdered Mike Brown now has an attorney. Mike Brown’s body has been released to his family. (x)
- Mike Brown was murdered on Aug. 9. On Aug. 13 police say they will interview witness to murder
- "Race relations are a top priority" -Police chief
- State senator wants to know if she’ll be gassed again for peaceful protest
- The Department of Justice has opened a civil rights investigation into the murder of Mike Brown (x) (x) (x) (x)
- "Sit down for Mike Brown" (x)
- Streets are blocked off again (x) (x)
- SWAT team overlooks protests and has weapons drawn (x) Now asking protestors to leave (x) (x)
- Police don’t like peaceful protests (x) (x) (x) (x) (x) (x) (x) (x) (x)
- "Justice for Mike Brown" (x)
- On the night of Aug. 13:
Reports that Antonio French has been arrested. People are demanding he be released.Antonio French has been released.
- Wesley Lowery (Washington Post) and Ryan Reilly (Huff Post) have also been arrested (x)
- Reports that people in Gaza are tweeting tips to people in Ferguson on how to deal with tear gas. Reports
- Day 5: “Hands up, don’t shoot!” (x) continues but so do the tear gas and rubber bullets without warning now (x) (x) (x) (x) (x) (x) (x)
- MORE LIES (x)
- Reports say that cops have removed their badges and ID tags (x)
- Cops mocking protestors?
- TEAR GAS EVERYWHERE
- $$$ for new station but not cameras (x)
- Police want a media blackout
- Reports that the family of the officer who murdered Mike Brown have moved.
- American soldiers are comparing their body armor/weaponry from their time in Iraq to the body armor/weaponry of the Ferguson Police Department
- Students at Howard University take a “Hands up, don’t shoot!” picture
- Anonymous has been involved. They have released pictures of Police Chief Jon Belmar's house (inside and out) and other personal info (x) (x). They claim to have just released the name of the officer who murdered Mike Brown. They are currently threatening to leak a picture, address, and full dox of the officer who murdered Mike Brown.
- Police open fire into group of peaceful protestors (video)
- BRYAN WILLMAN (officer who murdered Mike Brown) IS BORED ON FACEBOOK. Apparently his Facebook has been deleted. Ps. Don’t forget
- St. Louis Co. Police Dept. claims Bryan P. Willman is not the officer who murdered Mike Brown. Name of a different officer now circulating are also false.
- Grenade launchers?!?!
- St. Louis County Police have been relieved of duty
- "If you rent instead of own you’re not a part of the community"?!?!?! (x)
- Pictures and video from the night of Aug. 13 (x) (x) (x) (x) (x) (x)
- Media still focused on looting but only 9 people were charged with looting
- Thursday Aug. 14: Police chief promises change in tactics tonight
Edit: I’ll do my best to keep this updated. If there’s anything I missed or anything that is incorrect please let me know and I’ll change it or add it.
Edit: I’m trying to keep this post as up to date as possible but it’s so hard to keep up with everything that’s going on in Ferguson. This is unreal.
Edit: Sign this petition! “Please Enact New Federal Laws to Protect Citizens from Police Violence and Misconduct”
Also, I forgot to add this link before but there have been dozens of peaceful vigils organized to pay respect to victims of police shootings/brutality. The National Moment of Silence 2014 vigils are scheduled for TONIGHT AUGUST 14, 2014. Here’s a link for all of the organized events. Check it out to find your city.
"The Long way Home", was coined a relatable phrase by my subconscious, one Monday afternoon while I was pedaling my bicycle along the sidewalk. I clenched the breaks, and let the idea play catch-up into my conscious mind.
"The Long Way Home."
And in a phrase, I knew that forevermore if anyone asked which direction I had been going, or why, I would tell them I was simply taking the long way home. And the truth that I would come to find, that lay in that statement- still gives me goosebumps. You see, nobody teaches you how to seamlessly make your trauma and your life; coincide. Coping is the continuous choice to choose one or the other. To climb inside your pain and put a coat on to brave her cold- or choose life and make the pain play like a naughty girl in her bedroom. When footsteps finally reach the height of the stairs, knock on her door, and tell her, “ It’s time to come out now.”
This is where the healing begins.
It has taken me nothing short of eleven months now to put away the panic in my chest, and begin to carve out the kind of life I have always imagined for myself. The past year has lead me from Minnesota, to Wisconsin,and back again, in what I know now to be a ruthless effort to bring me healing in the most holistic sense of the word.
The Long way Home, exists as a means to authentically portray my experience in walking out into the world, unwounded. Bearing not the weight of her past, but the new weightlessness found in finally pursuing her future. And so we begin: Joolabird leaves the nest.
i feel old feelings of alone on a driveway